[OM] Re: E-1 what's the first settings you changed

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 what's the first settings you changed
From: Peter Leyssens <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:17:02 +0200

Hi,

> If you have a low opinion of your photography or a very high opinion of
> your ability to get perfect exposures every time, sure, why not.

Now here's someone who knows me very well !  You decide which of the two
applies :)

I'm hoping to have 1-2 weeks to play with the camera before I leave, so
I can still play around with settings before I determine what to do.  If
I can set up my PC to do batch processing and get a system like AG to
select the keepers quickly, then RAW doesn't seem all the hassle as it
used to.

 > And if you want to view and edit while on the road, you need either
> a laptop with a RAW converter or one of those storage and viewer
> thingies and RAW+JPEG. For those shots in the bar, restaurant, bus, etc.
> JPEG is the way to go.
>
> Maybe just break down and buy a couple of 2gb cards?

I was considering getting one 2gb card and reusing my PDA's 512mb one
for emergencies when the big one is full.  I've been thinking about
using the PDA as backup, but since it only has a CF+SD slot, that
doesn't work.

Taking a laptop is a big no-no, as 1) I work on PCs the whole time,
gimme a break :)  2) it'll be on foot all the way from my door to where
I end up, no extra bag please and 3) I always travel extremely light.
On any trip, no matter how much luggage one takes, one can always come
up with something extra that should've been taken.  So I prefer taking
as little as possible, realize that I have very little means and enjoy
the luxury of no weight.  I took just a bit over 10 kilograms of hand
carry luggage, including OM-4Ti, 28/2.8, 50/1.4 and 90/2 and 2 guide
books when leaving for 45 days to Japan.  OK, the weight nearly doubled
during the holiday, but it was still manageable.  Did I mention I hate
camera bags&tripods ?  :-P

I've been looking at a Vosonic 2160 backup device.  It has no screen to
check if the CF was copied succesfully, but I can get an 80gb model for
179 euro !  Sounds like a better investment than the fancy Epson P-2000
that looks very desirable but triple the price, and I really don't need
MP3-video-stuff on a holiday on a shoestring :-P

Is anybody using this machine (Vosonic 2160 X'S Drive II+) ?  I found a
review on photographyblog.com, but tales of hands-on experience are
appreciated !

> Think of the expense this way.  How much would you expect to pay for
> film, processing and prints in the past on such a trip? Even if you take
> more pics with a DC, you will probably print less.

Butbut !  That's my excuse to get the DC already !  You mean I should
recycle excuses for new purposes ?  My mummy always told me it doesn't
work that way !

> I managed to fill 2gbs of images in 3 days on a recent trip with lots of
> time allowed for photography. I could have stretched it out with more
> culling, but that's a drag on the camera screen.

Well, then there's the wedding I'll be shooting around the same time as
when I'm planning to leave for my walk, hmmm.  A backup device could
prove practical for both occasions :)

Peter.