[OM] Re: Shift, Tilt Bellows

Subject: [OM] Re: Shift, Tilt Bellows
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:18:12 -0700
The problem with a bellows like this + SLR is that you have to use
relatively long lenses. Rodenstock makes a 35mm lens with a 125mm image
circle (imagine the shift you could get with that) but the flange to focal
plane is 43mm!

Very few of the Zuikos would have an image circle that would allow any
shifting/tilting.

If you're shooting film it would be easier and probably cheaper to use a 6x9
view camera (Horseman VH used with about 4 or 5 lenses + film back could be
bought for $2000 in excellent condition).

The only way I see this being very useful is with a digital back ... but the
35mm digital SLR cameras are going to force so many limitations that it
would only be valuable for special purpose needs (product shots where a
short telephoto lens could be used?).

The image quality of the high end digital 35mm SLRs has got to be putting a
tight limit on the market for any future medium or large format gear.
Probably shifts and tilts are going to become a thing only old farts and
retro nuts care or know about.

-jeff