[OM] Graduation ceremony

Subject: [OM] Graduation ceremony
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:27:30 -0700 (PDT)
Last night we had our school graduation ceremony.  Private
schools do things a little differently than big public
institutions so all grades had some involvement in it.  We
managed to get relatively close to the front, maybe ten rows
back.  We did our dutiful thing of making sure we were
obnoxiously snapping pictures whenever our precious, perfect
children were on stage.

I think being an "official photographer" is much easier than
being a parent trying to get pictures of your precious, perfect
children.  Half of your pictures are of the heads in front of
you and camcorders held high.

So, my wife is snapping away with here kodak pocket camera
(actually takes really nice pictures), I've got the E-1 and the
A1.  Due to distance, I popped the 200/4 on the E-1, cranked the
ISO up to 800, handheld it and fired altogether about 200 shots
of my precious, perfect children.

Friends of ours (fellow Olympus OM shooters) were on the
opposite side of the aisle and trying to get pictures of their
daughter who was graduating this year. Unfortunately, the
sight-line wasn't working for them and their Nikon digital
locked up at the wrong moment.  He couldn't grab the OM with
300/4.5 and flash quickly enough. Seeing that he was struggling,
I went ahead and took a dozen photos of her as I had an
uninterrupted view.  Afterwards I talked with them and told them
that the pictures would be posted in a gallery for download
later that evening.  (which they retreived this morning).

You know, the pictures might not be perfect--from an event
shooter's perspective. Had I been the hired gun, I would have
had better positioning and better lighting.  But the important
thing is I got "the shot".  Sometimes it isn't about perfection.
 The picture isn't perfectly sharp as it was handheld and on a
couple of them the focus was a touch off.  It's the picture that
was getting away from the parents--never to be taken.  Even with
the imperfections, the pictures will still make nice 8x10s.

Digital. It gave me the freedom to shoot without cost. It gave
me the ability to review the pictures with the parents
(chimping) afterwards, and it gave me the ability to give them
electronic copies when they got home that evening and logged
into the internet.

It also gave me one more advantage.  The 2X crop factor of the
E-1 meant that my 200/4 became an effective 400mm lens, which
was perfect for the shot.

Oh, as I discovered last night, the E-1 is quiet, but when you
rattle off two or three sets of buffer-filling shots (12) in a
row it does disturb the neighbors.  At least I wasn't using
flash!

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail