[OM] Re: Info from a New Zealand list member please

Subject: [OM] Re: Info from a New Zealand list member please
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:24:01 +0100
SWIFT codes for any member bank branch are to be found here:
http://www.swift.com/biconline/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_freesearch

Andrew is correct, SWIFT transfers are *the* universal international
payments method, as you might guess from the name - Society for Worldwide
Interbank Financial Transactions (if I remember correctly), though they
don't take 48 hours.  Depending on which currencies are involved (and when
the banking hours are for each currency) a SWIFT transfer between banks is
instantaneous, can be done end-to-end (from customer sending instruction to
bank, up to seller receiving confirmation from his bank) within a banking
day.

BUT (1) in my experience it very much depends on how good each bank is at
international transfers, and you should not expect your local branch to have
the faintest idea what you are talking about if you ask for a SWIFT
transfer!

BUT (2), also in my experience, if you find a bank that is set up for
international transfers, they will charge you c. USD60 to send a SWIFT
transfer.

BUT (3), take care about accepting "all charges", since banks also charge to
receive SWIFT transfers.  Better to specify that the recipient pays his own
bank's charges.

All in all, WU doesn't seem such a bad deal after all.

--
Piers