[OM] [OT] Was Re: Olympus in Australia - now way off in Ethiopia

Subject: [OM] [OT] Was Re: Olympus in Australia - now way off in Ethiopia
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 08:28:43 +0100
The mention of Eve brings to mind a book I'm reading on the history of
coffee. I do love the stuff (just had my morning espresso) so thought I
should find out more about it. Anyhow, the writer came up with a couple
of ideas linked to the coffee bush's native land of Ethiopia, which
kind of make sense in an off beat way and for that reason appeal to me:

As archaeological records are suggesting that Ethiopia is also showing
itself to be the birthplace of mankind, it's possible that the
forbidden fruit was in fact the coffee cherry. It's flesh contains one
percent caffeine (the seed, which is not eaten, contains three percent
and so gives more of a kick when roasted and brewed) and so would have
its psychoactive effect and get A&E thinking! After all where's the
harm in an apple?

Secondly, one of the most important distinctions between mankind and
it's ape cousins is the rapid enlargement of the brain required by
language and more advanced thinking. As caffeine is a stimulant,
perhaps its use could be, in part, linked to man's rapid advance in
mental agility and increase in brain size.

Who knows? But it's food for thought!

James