[OM] Re: Decisions, Decisions; Which Two Should I Send?

Subject: [OM] Re: Decisions, Decisions; Which Two Should I Send?
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 20:01:50 -0500
At 05:27 PM 5/26/2005, you wrote:
>I know what you mean about the clusters.  Hard to figure out where to
>focus.  I think the problem here is too even illumination.  There is not
>enough shadow to differentiate the blossoms one from the other.  It may
>need some directional light from a reflector.
>
>Chuck Norcutt

Thanks Chuck . . .
The more I think about it and look at it, the more it needs the higher
contrasts from directional lighting you mention to bring out dimension and
texture . . . you're right . . . the lighting was too flat.

At 05:33 PM 5/26/2005, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>I also think azaleas are tough.  I've got a couple here from my
>mother-in-law's house, where they grow without a lot of attention, so the
>blooms are more spread out:
>
>http://members.tripod.com/jdubikins/Hawaii/plants/plants.html

Nice rich red and lots of leaves!  The composition make it look a bit
"wilder" than ours which have been carefully pruned and there's more
blossoms than leaves.  The rest of ours are more peach colored (Mt. Saint
Helens variety).  They're relatively new . . . pruned by the nursery to a
rather funky shape . . . so I'll see if the Other Half keeps them pruned
that way.

The lily does seem early.  We have several new ones just like that one.  An
older and bigger one . . . with different looking blossoms that are larger
and peach/orange . . . was transplanted to the back and it typically
blossoms in mid/late June.  That one has come up but no signs of any
blossoms yet . . . and there won't be for a few more weeks if it keeps on
the timetable it has in the past.

At 06:22 PM 5/26/2005, Moose wrote:
>On the other hand, when it is right, WOW
><http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Glads/pages/14-1075_.htm>! Of course
>this was just done with a crappy little 2mp P&S. {;-)

WOW is right . . . and seeing yours told me Chuck was right . . . the flat
lighting didn't bring out their shape sufficiently.

I'm also reminded that I should entirely quit attempting these things hand
held and use the tripod all the time for this stuff.  I just got some
Kodachromes back of the other azaleas (the peach ones), a clematis (big
flat, pale purple stars that fade to white), the lilacs before they opened,
and a dwarf Iris Reticula (either J.S. Dijt or George) with deep purple and
yellow markings (bought it for the Other Half about a month ago because it
looked cute).  Also captured a decent photograph of a rabbit sitting under
one of our pine trees using the Tamron 80-200/2.8 . . . she's really into
rabbits.  In going through the slides that past couple nights I'm reminded
why I use mostly Kodachrome and some Provia (need to try Velvia) . . . plus
I used the tripod (for all but the rabbit).

-- John Lind