[OM] Re: Decisions, Decisions; Which Two Should I Send?

Subject: [OM] Re: Decisions, Decisions; Which Two Should I Send?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 17:33:07 -0500
At 03:58 PM 5/26/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>For your general enjoyment, these two were shot in our garden at home after
>returning from the park to finish off the roll of film.  The Other Half has
>been traveling with her parents and is "distraught" she is missing some of
>the flowers blooming . . . I was given a clear mission over the phone when
>I told her about the azalea in particular.  The azalea *is* that color . .
>. a very saturated yellow!
>
>If anyone has suggestions on how to compose an azalea blossom, it would be
>most welcome.  I've never photographed them before.  They explode with many
>blossoms in very tight clusters . . . was frustrated trying to get
>separation of one from the rest for a close-up . . . is it even possible
>without chopping one off?
>
>Very, very yellow Azalea:
>http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/big.asp?photoID=926691
>
>Yellow [Day ??] Lily:
>http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/big.asp?photoID=926692
>
>-- John Lind

I find yellow very difficult to photograph.  There must be about 1/3 stop
latitude between burning out the highlights on the on hand and
underexposing it into a clumpy, unbrilliant mass.  I think you did fine
with these.

I also think azaleas are tough.  I've got a couple here from my
mother-in-law's house, where they grow without a lot of attention, so the
blooms are more spread out:

http://members.tripod.com/jdubikins/Hawaii/plants/plants.html

On hers I thought it was important to get the leaves' patterns into the
composition.  I think this was a lot less challenging than yours
though.  Mine were more like roses growing on a bush.

I'm guessing the day lily is what I'm told is a stella de aurum.  Early
this year?  We have them continuously throughout the summer.

Joel W.