[OM] OT Comedy and missed shot

Subject: [OM] OT Comedy and missed shot
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:38:28 -0700
I had the delightful experience this evening of witnessing a minor
comedy that had me too stunned to think to grab the camera ('twas in the
trunk, and I totally forgot it was there).

Got home just at dusk, in fairly thick fog. Just as I exited the car,
the neighbor's dog could be heard approaching at a high rate of speed,
barking her head off. I've a 100 yd (or thereabouts) driveway, and as
she got closer, I noticed a much harder-to-distinguish shape just ahead
of her. She was in full chase, and the shape she was chasing turned out
to be a coyote, whose mottled coat was very effective camouflage. The
poor coyote was so flustered at being pursued by the barking, snarling
beast on its heels that it failed to note another neighbor's wire fence,
ricocheted off same, and then--fully panicked--charged right past me and
on up-slope through my lot. About half-way up my lot, it realized it was
no longer being pursued and stopped for a moment to take stock of the
situation before loping off, mortified.

The reason for the end of the pursuit? The neighbor's dog is afraid of
me (for reasons entirely beyond my understanding).

The pursuer? A 7-10 pound Pomeranian-and-who-knows-what-else mongrel.
All of about 12 inches tall.
The pursuee? Somewhere about 75% of the size of a German Shepherd.

Which proves, as I see it, what men have been saying for years... Size
doesn't matter. :-)