[OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II

Subject: [OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 06:29:58 -0700 (PDT)
> I'm not sure we don't all see what we want to see in these,
> and we can argue endlessly about materials and
> techniques used.

Very true. But if I fail to bring a digital camera with me I
miss certain shots. If I fail to bring a 35mm with me or the 4x5
I miss other shots.  The best "system" for some shots is always
the one you left at home.

> My tuppence worth is that the digital images remind me of
> those portraits of actresses and music (?) divas of the
> modern era, which look like they have skins of peaches and
> cream, maybe applied with a small trowel. AG may
> be right that it's NR in action. It's characteristic of
> digital images, and, if you like that sort of thing, better.

I'm very picky about NR. The built-in NR on the E-1 works
sometimes, but is garbage other times. Same with NR in
post-production. "One size fits all" noise reduction hardly ever
works.  Putty smooth pictures are nice once in a while, but get
old in a hurry.  Fortunately, with my digital cameras, I can
turn NR completely off.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com