[OM] Re: Lanscape's via PC stitching,

Subject: [OM] Re: Lanscape's via PC stitching,
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:47:49 -0500
At 01:22 PM 4/16/2005, Tom Scales wrote:

>I'm getting in late on this thread, but I've been experimenting with a
>number of packages recently.  The one that I like the most is Photovista.

I have several iterations of an early version of Photovista.  Works quite
well.  A killer can be lens falloff near the edges and in the
corners.  Sufficient overlap between images helps mitigate it.

>I'm particularly fond of the last one. The first three have limitations, but
>I am still learning how to shoot these properly. I am not convinced that a
>tripod with perfect registration is necessary.  Where I go to shoot, it is
>also not practical.

If they're done with an aligned setup on a tripod:
(a)  Registration in the stitching process is easier for the software to
find and perform properly, and there is less risk of a "seam" showing from
the smoothing process performed to try to hide it.
(b)  There is less cropping of the top and bottom of the panoramic leaving
more photograph to work with vertically (on a horizontal pano).

YMMV in the stitching depending on what software and, in this case, a newer
version's capabilities.  The hiding of seam and registration remarks are
based on software versions that are five years old.

>7 images http://www.scalesfamily.com/D2X/D2X_0360-0366-e.jpg
>10 images http://www.scalesfamily.com/D2X/D2X_0072-0081-e.jpg
>10 images http://www.scalesfamily.com/D2X/D2X_0140-0149-e.jpg
>11 images http://www.scalesfamily.com/D2X/D2X_0155-0165-e.jpg

Nicely assembled together!  One of the great challenges in shooting
panoramics that wide is finding a camera point of view that has something
of interest in every direction.  A complete 360 is "cool" to look at, but
only if there's something "cool" to see in every direction.  Finding a
location and perspective that contains that much interest can be a very
real challenge . . . I found it more difficult than it seemed when I
started trying to shoot them.

BTW, the same company that makes PhotoVista also makes "Reality Studio"
that allows assembling several panos into a "virtual tour" web page that
starts at one pano and has "hot spot" links to other panos.  I also have an
early version of it that dumps everything out into an HTML page with
supporting files.

-- John Lind