[OM] Re: ?? Mid-tele zoom w/49mm filters??

Subject: [OM] Re: ?? Mid-tele zoom w/49mm filters??
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 21:52:46 -0500
At 12:28 PM 4/15/2005, ScottGee1 wrote:

>Of course the Oly f/4.0 is on the list, but are there others that use 49mm
>filters, are compact and relatively fast?  I'm
>avoiding those that go to ~200 because they tend to get much slower.
>Tokina, Tamron, Sigma, Soligar, Sears, Mattel . . .
>
>I suppose it would be too much to ask for it to have a front element that
>doesn't rotate!

I just checked my Tamron 35-105/2.8 and 80-200/2.8.  Both have rotating
front elements.  The Zuiko 35-105/3.5~4.5 does also.   It's a common
"feature" [??] with zoom lenses . . . both variable and constant aperture .
. . and doesn't escape the high end ones either.

Would you consider 55mm filters, the other extremely common size for the
Zuiko lenses, and using step-down rings for whatever 49mm lenses you
have?  (If you already have a battery of filters I know the pain of buying
new ones.)  Many of the better Zuiko zoom lenses take a 55mm filter.

I'm not a big fan of the Zuiko 75-150/4 two-touch.  I had one for nearly 20
years.  Build quality was on par with all other Zuiko's, but optical
quality was below par compared to most other Zuiko lenses.  It is one of
three "S Zuiko Zoom" lenses Olympus made.  The other two were the 28-48/4
and 35-70/4.  All three were intended for the "budget minded" consumer
market, hence the "S" designation.

Wish I could help you more beyond a recommendation to avoid the 75-150/4 S
Zuiko.  The non-rotating front element is a tough requirement for a zoom
lens.  Eliminating those doesn't leave very many and wanting a 49mm filter
ring causes me to wonder if there are any other than the S Zuiko that meet
all the criteria.

-- John Lind