[OM] Re: Zuiko Digital/Zuiko Analog Bakeoff

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko Digital/Zuiko Analog Bakeoff
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:55:47 +0800
I can't agree on the test method, F16 is not a good aperture for comparison,
as with many small format lenses, they perform better at wide aperture, just
like the E-10 lens it perform the best at around F4.5. I have not check the
E-1 14-54 but I believe it will be around F5.6-8. For the different in color
balance, I think it was due to the warmer tone of older Zuikos.

For the performance of 14-54, I had performed a test last month, here is the
results of 11-22 at 14mm and 14-54 at 14mm:

http://www.accura.com.hk/P3139738.jpg (11-22)

http://www.accura.com.hk/P3139742.jpg (14-54)

Exif information can be found inside the files. Both lenses at F3.5, manual
focus, camera tripod mounted, indoor fluorescence light. RAW, converted
with Olympus Viewer, WB 4300K, sharpness -5, The different in color
balance and exposure could be due to ambient light effect. Next time I will
use flash to test them again.

In my experience the 14-54 is quite good in all focal length, the problem
may be due to focusing error. The weakest point of Olympus DSLR is focusing,
mainly at the wide end. I had lots of trouble with E-10 and also sometimes
with the E-1 indoor shot. After firmware upgrade to 1.4 it seems better but
has to perform some field test to find it out.

C.H.Ling