[OM] Re: Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor

Subject: [OM] Re: Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:09:26 -0500
I used 'em all the time until I got into autofocus.

IMO, AF of any sort promotes the 'point at the main subject, get it in
focus and take a shot' approach to photography.  For example, if I
have two subjects on different planes of focus and want both in focus
there better be something on which to AF that is exactly 1/3 of the
distance behind the first subject.  If not, I'm stuck with focusing
manually on a screen that was not designed to do that, without the
benefit of a DOF scale if it's a zoom and only limited scales on a lot
of primes.  Canon's DEP mode is useful in such situations though I
don't always trust the decisions it makes.

With a good manual focus camera and lens, I check the focus point for
each subject and decide which aperture to use based on the DOF scale
and shoot.

And I quite agree that Circle of Confusion is well named.

FWIW/ScottGee1