[OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip

Subject: [OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:52:45 +1200
Hi all,

Andrew Fildes wrote

> Done and done. I was involved in such a project a few years ago on the
> PhotoForum
> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/photoforum/ptc/
>
> We sent a disposable camera around the world - the aim was to discover
> whether the pro photogs on the list could get a decent image out of it.
> (Fuji, with flash). The one that went right around did its circuit
> nicely but the two that did domestic US circuits caused endless
> headaches with precious members whinging about their copyright, hanging
> on to the camera until they were 'in the mood' or the time was right,
> etc. One vanished and another had to be freed with a heavy handed knock
> on the door and a strong suggestion to hand it over.
> AndrewF
> (Vagabond #17)

I have taken a good look at this site.  Great photos BUT we need to figure
out in advance how to deal with the problems that seem to arise all the time.
People who either change their mind about the trip and won't accept that
they should bow out and send the camera on its way (keeping the camera to
themselves), people who take too long to make their shot(s), and the camera
going missing between participants. And the copyright issue - I see there are
several blank frames seemingly where people have insisted "their" shots be
pulled from the website - this needs to be sorted beforehand.

Maybe a smaller camera that has less intrinsic worth than the OM1 - for
example a Mju 1, or Stylus Epic; and maybe more than one to get the
project over and done within a year.

My 2 cents

Brian