[OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip (hat idea)

Subject: [OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip (hat idea)
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:36:41 +1100
>>Andrew Fildes wrote:
>>Perhaps we could all take a photo of a gnome.
>>That could be amusing.
>>AndrewF
>>(who suspects that it might be a self-portrait)

Moose replied:
>Some sort of hat could travel with the camera with the requirement that
>the photographer wear the hat while using the camera. If the 35RC is the
>traveler, each user could be required to take a self-pic with the hat,
>which might accumulate interesting adornments as it moves around.

Hi all,

A couple of people have suggested either having a gnome as subject matter
or sending a gnome with the camera (to be included in a photo).

I'm not keen on the first point (gnome as subject matter) because I think
it's best to keep our subject matter open and free-ranging.  I'm looking
forward to the diversity of photos we're going to end up with from all
around the world.

The second point (a gnome travelling with the camera) I see as being a good
idea and it needn't clash with our open subject theme.  We'll all be
submitting four photos for publication on the web site (which I'm working
on as I speak).  One of those four photos could be of the gnome sitting on
a park bench, peeking out from under a leaf, reflected in a window,
etc.  It would add a little levity to the project!

But OTOH I love Moose's idea of sending a hat with the camera and each of
us taking a self-portrait wearing it.  This could be a mandatory photo, the
other three being open subject.  And as Moose mentioned, it could pick up
adornments on the journey which would be really cool.

As for what sort of hat - I'm thinking something light and flexible.  Like
a beanie, or for those non-Aussie's out there what's called a toque.  I'm
currently thinking of a logo for this round-the-world Olympus project and I
think embroidering the logo onto the hat would be a nice touch.

Heck, come to think of it I reckon a hat with a logo of the project could
be a good seller as well, I for one would like a memento of this.  Proceeds
could be used to help fund the shipping on the long-haul pond-jumping parts
of the trip.

Comments welcome.  Do we like the travelling hat idea?

Andrew McPhee