[OM] Re: thoughts on shooting wedding

Subject: [OM] Re: thoughts on shooting wedding
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 20:02:00 -0800
Wayne Culberson wrote:

>I don't yet have enough CF cards to shoot that many pics in RAW.
>Here are 2 shots, these 2 taken just in P mode, flash turned off, shot from
>the same position, taken just seconds apart, no change of room lighting,
>with just the zoom changed, no change of other camera settings, straight as
>from the camera except for resizing.
>http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3182127
>http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3175400
>I have quite a number of examples from the evening of similar color
>differences, even when flash was used, though not quite as severe.
>Yes, I certainly could use advice on how to overcome this. Using several of
>my son's basketball games as learning opportunities, I've tried setting
>various combinations, setting up "my modes", etc., but trying to get any
>consistency in color in indoor shooting has alluded me so far. Whether
>shooting with flash off, in camera flash, or t32 mounted, it seems the color
>varies, perhaps according to how you hold your mouth, or maybe whether or
>not his team is ahead in score :-).

Have you tried setting one of the preset white balance settings or a
manual WB setting? When the camera is set for auto WB, it has to try to
guess what the lighting is and come up with something like a daylit shot
(Unless you tell it through a WB setting, it can't know what the
lighting is.). Looking at your samples, it appears that it may only use
a central portion of the image to do this. So in a very complex
lighting/subject situation like this it is easily confused and changes
color balance depending on what is in the central portion of the image.
I don't know specifically how the 5050 works, but I imagine it is like
others, where choice of a fixed WB is just that, the camera breathes a
sigh of relief, quits trying to figure anything out shot to shot and
just uses the same WB for every shot. In you wedding setting, I would
find a shot that gives me the look I want and set one of the custom WBs
to that setting. Even if the WB turns out to be off a bit, at least it
will be consistent and the same adjustment may be applied to all the
shots in the same setting and with the same fixed WB setting. If you
then go outside the next day and shoot without changing the WB, you will
get interesting results.

With RAW, of course, one may lalter choose and change the WB at will, as
that processing isn't stored in the RAW file, but done when it is
converted to TIFF, JPEG, etc.

Moose