[OM] Re: thoughts on shooting wedding

Subject: [OM] Re: thoughts on shooting wedding
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:45:47 -0400

> A camera like the 5050,
> while an excellent tool for many photographic purposes, is not, within
> the range of available DCs, comparable to an OM with Portra within the
> range of 35mm cameras available for the purpose of wedding photography.

I agree. An OM with Portra is better.

> Whether it is a good, bad or indifferent camera, it seems to me to be
> unfair both to the camera, other owners and potential users, to
> criticize it without fully understanding its operation.

Agreed, I don't fully understand it. (but then I probably don't fully
understand OM's either, though likely am closer.) An OM with Portra is much
easier for me. Even an amateur like myself can get pretty good results.

>. It does appear that
> it has the capability to mitigate, if not eliminate, some of the
> specific results you complain about thorough WB fine tuning, custom WB,
> custom parameter sets and, possibly, through use of RAW files with
> RawShooter or Vuescan.

I don't yet have enough CF cards to shoot that many pics in RAW.
Here are 2 shots, these 2 taken just in P mode, flash turned off, shot from
the same position, taken just seconds apart, no change of room lighting,
with just the zoom changed, no change of other camera settings, straight as
from the camera except for resizing.
I have quite a number of examples from the evening of similar color
differences, even when flash was used, though not quite as severe.
Yes, I certainly could use advice on how to overcome this. Using several of
my son's basketball games as learning opportunities, I've tried setting
various combinations, setting up "my modes", etc., but trying to get any
consistency in color in indoor shooting has alluded me so far. Whether
shooting with flash off, in camera flash, or t32 mounted, it seems the color
varies, perhaps according to how you hold your mouth, or maybe whether or
not his team is ahead in score :-). It can be both fun and frustrating
experimenting at a game.
For a wedding, where it matters, it's probably easier for me to just use
Portra.

> And good for you! If you find this sounds like a rant against you, I
> hope you will consider my intent to be fair in characterizing various
> cameras in a public forum. And perhaps you will remember that I was one
> of those who helped you find a solution to color balance in slides taken
> at high altitude.  I DO try to use my fetish for knowing the uses of
> tools for good!  :-)   And I am sometimes wrong, as I recently
> demonstrated here in a really silly, preventable way.
>
> Moose

When I get to where I can't listen to differences of opinion or accept
criticism, then I'll probably have come to end of being able to learn. It
may not always sound like it, but I do appreciate the help received here.
Thanks again.
Wayne