[OM] Re: Tokina SZ-X 60-300mm

Subject: [OM] Re: Tokina SZ-X 60-300mm
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:33:56 -0600
The build quality of the SZ-X seems more consumer than professional, but
that's partly why it is so light and that's one of the primary reasons I
find it valuable for the purpose.

Sharpness and contrast are very good throughout the range.  It's consistent
through about 250mm and then it softens a little -- pretty typical of this
type of lens. Interestingly, it seems to stay at f4 through about 250 and
quickly drops to f5.6.  I used to think it was a straight f4 design until I
was using it on my OM-1 one time and discovered otherwise. Since I rarely
shoot it all the way at the long end, it's still pretty easy to deal with
exposure on an OM-1 since it seems to stay at f4 through most of its range.

It's a one-touch design and focuses very quickly.  Very easy to follow
fielders if the light is good enough or you are lucky enough to have 2
series screens.

I have not heard of another list member with this lens.  When Gary Schloss
was on-list, he offered one, but I had just found mine at my local camera
store.  A fair number of folks seem to have the Tamron 60-300, which I
suspect is a better performer from the way people talk about it, but I
don't know that to be true.  I suspect the two lenses are very different to
handle.

Joel W.