[OM] OT - Kyoto Protocol (was Camera Hacking disposables)

Subject: [OM] OT - Kyoto Protocol (was Camera Hacking disposables)
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:26:05 +1100
A quick Google found some links about the protocol that I found quite
informative...

Why Won't the United States Ratify The Protocol?
The Bush Administration withdrew support for the Kyoto Protocol in March
2001 for several reasons. They argued that there was not enough sound
science surrounding the climate change issue. They argued that this
uncertainty made it and that the requirements to cut greenhouse gas
emissions by 7 percent below 1990 levels by the year 2012 would put a
strain on the economy. The Administration also argued that the treaty does
not require developing nations to curb their emissions.
http://environment.about.com/od/kyotoprotocol/a/aa090402a.htm

Snubbing Kyoto: Our Monumental Shame
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-david11feb11,0,3954320.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

Kyoto Protocol
http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/convkp/kpeng

I have a good solution to the non-signing problem - put the government
leaders of the countries that refuse to sign the protocol onto a small
Pacific island.  When the ocean level starts rising and is reaching their
neck THEN maybe they'll start to believe in the science and do something..!

Andrew McPhee
<who lives in Australia which is also refusing to sign, much to my dismay>