[OM] OT Leica/Panasonix vs. Tamron/Canon, was E1 vs E300

Subject: [OM] OT Leica/Panasonix vs. Tamron/Canon, was E1 vs E300
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:44:03 -0800
Joel Wilcox wrote:

>>>I share your joy. :)
>>>
>>Yeah, you get a wider range and I get a higher top end, 460mm eq. on the
>>300D sensor. Sounds like horsepower wars.
>>
>>Moose
>>

>Heh-heh-heh.  I got IS. :)

Oh, Oh, testosterone rising, lets take it out on the streets and burn
some rubber. :-)

I looked seriously at the  FZ20 when it came out. Mighty attractive camera.

You got the IS and the lens speed, about a 4.5 stop advantage. On the
other hand, the FZ20 get real noisy real fast over iso 100.
Unfortunately, the dpreview reviews don't have comparable images for the
2 cameras at higher isos. Looking at what they do have, I'd say the 300D
is less noisy at iso 1600 than the FZ20 at 400, giving me back about 2.5
stops, maybe more in a practical sense, as dpreview says "It is
fortunate that the image stabilisation system and F2.8 lens mean you can
stay away from ISO 400 most of the time when using the FZ20; this much
noise is difficult to remove with even the most sophisticated software
tools." 300D iso 1600 responds rather well to noise removal.

Where the rubber meets the road at the long end, I think my combo is a
bit better; should be, it cost more! Here's a comparison of a moon shot
I happen to have taken a couple of months ago and the one dpreview used
to illustrate a problem with the FZ20 at the long end. In some ways not
a truly perfect comparison, as my shot was right at the horizon. You can
see the atmospheric 'waves' along the edge and they likely reduce
resolution of the surface. On the other hand, the fact that the
distortions are clearly visible is an example of resolution in itself.
Because of the higher number of pixels, the 300D image is a little
bigger than the FX20, which is also an advantage
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/CRW_0788mont.jpg>.

Both mighty fine guns for tele shootin', pardner

Moose