[OM] Re: E1 vs E300

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs E300
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:16:34 EST

In a message dated 2/3/2005 7:29:35 AM Central Standard Time,
bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

To be  honest, the ONLY reason I'm looking at C*non or N*kon is that 5
megapixel  sensor. I don't want to start off a step behind the  competition.

The question I would ask myself is, "How large have I gone with a 35mm  image
in the past?"
Whatever the answer is, I believe in most cases the 5 megapixel sensor is
capable of giving you a similar or better result, at home, for less money.
That is not to say more is not better.  I happen to believe the e-?  will give
me
more in the future and I really don't have any major problem with  the e-1
system.

Were I to not have any 35mm analog system or digital system, and have  an
unlimited supply of money and was starting from scratch, I'd probably  buy one
of
the higher end Canon digitals as Canon is IMHO at the top of the  small
format heap and have been for several decades.

One advantage to team Olympus is their sensor cleaning technology.   After
about a year of using the e-1 with 4 digital Zuikos and an array of OM  gear, I
don't now nor have I ever had any dust on my sensor.  I treat it  just like my
35mm and much if not most of that work is done outside in the  field as
opposed to a studio or inside a structure.  I've shot outside  in a rain that
had
others running for cover and knew I was OK because of  the superior sealing
system of my e-1.  That doesn't mean I ignored the  rain and didn't do the
basics
to keep it dry, but I did keep shooting when  others were sitting it out in
there car.

Yesterday I did picked up a 90mm Schneider for my 4X5 Toyo  45AX.  When
digital reaches a quality and price point to compete with  4X5 film, that small
kit
will be for sale.  In the mean time, the e-1  will do most of my capture,
supplement by OMs and a few other pieces of  photographic gear.

Barry, when you cross the Rubicon to the digital world you will probably
want to get a separate printer to do your B&W work.  Properly set up,  it is
capable of some really spectacular results.  I haven't done that yet,  as I
don't
do the amount of B&W you do, however that is what I will likely  do when I
move to another printer other than my Epson 1280.

My 2 cents worth and then some.

Bill Barber