[OM] Re: I've Waited Long Enough (Long post, only for the brave)

Subject: [OM] Re: I've Waited Long Enough (Long post, only for the brave)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:28:08 -0700
At 10:40 AM 04/02/2005, you wrote:

>Well, how should I begin.   Some of you might remember me, but I am
>assuming my lengthy absense from this community will have ereased any
>recollection at all.  My name is Joshua Lohuis, I lived in Timmins,
>Ontario, Canada, at the time I first joined I was 16. ( I am currently
>18 )

[snip]

>I am now in
>Tokyo, enjoying a *small* one year holiday.

Josh, mang, welcome back to the List!  As with you, I too have changed
cities, though not in as, uh, *dramatic* a fashion -- I moved from Edmonton
to Calgary.

[snip]

>1. I find myself wanting to take more and more photos at night, or in
>low light conditions.  The meter in my camera does not do well when it
>must be read against a dark sky background (nearly impossible).  Does
>anybody have any reccomendations for a light meter model that is
>economical and well suited to night/low light photography?

Economical *and* well-suited?  No.  Sorry.  Others on the List have already
suggested that you get pocket exposure guides and also do some
bracketing.  That's really good advice -- that way, you don't futz around
with trying to figure out your meter, and can worry more about actually
getting the shot.

[snip]

>How much stability does
>a monopod actually provide?

Average, about two stops' worth.  If you're good, three stops.  But it
doesn't do anything for the slow sway of the human body, so probably won't
help you much.  Shoot 1600 or 3200 ISO-equivalent in B&W, or as high as you
can go in colour.

[snip]

>  3.  Are there any sources for the mercury batteries used in the OM-1?

Zip.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.  Bugger-all.  Not a sausage.

The last battery company on the planet to make mercury cells was Varta
Europa, and they ceased production at the end of December, 1999.  (They had
some stock for about another year or so after that.)  Now you have to use
zinc-air cells (inferior), use the MR-9 battery adapter (good) or get your
OM-1 modded (best, but most expensive -- but if you can combine it with a
CLA, Bob's yer uncle!).

>4.  Being in a large city, I have been craving wide angle capability
>since arriving here.  I have been waiting and hoping for something to
>turn up at the flea market or elsewhere, but I have reached the end of
>my rope.  Does anybody have a spare or unused wide angle zuiko they
>would like to sell?

50/1.8's are one thing, but you'll get my 28/2.0 or 21/2.0 when you pry 'em
out of my cold, dead hands.  8^>

[snip]

>Akihabara is an electronics heaven packed with the lastest electronics at
>very cheap prices.  The first few times
>I went it was to the more foreigner geared areas, with bic camera and
>laox running the show.  On subsequent visits I discovered the area that
>contained the real deals,  brand new laptops in milk crates stacked up
>outside for a couple hundred dollars each, and the excitements go on.

Oh man, now I gotta wipe the drool off of my keyboard.  8^>  I might take
you up on that -- I'm constantly cravin' some of the Japanese goodies that
never seem to make it to the barbarian shores of North America, forever
tormented by descriptions and photos on the Internet.

[snip]

>PS  Please excuse my english, I havent conversed or written at a native
>level for 6months, and it is proving to take alittle while to get back
>into it ... as I read over this it didn't seem to flow

Looks fine to me.  If I'd been speaking Japanese for six months and tried
to switch back to English, I'd probably swallow my tongue.

Garth