[OM] Re: I've Waited Long Enough (Long post, only for the brave)

Subject: [OM] Re: I've Waited Long Enough (Long post, only for the brave)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:01:21 -0800
Joshua Lohuis wrote:

>Well, how should I begin.

Welcome back! Us older folks don't tend to think of the time you have
been away as being all that long.

>2.  Along with the above problem is the weight of a tripod required for
>steadying the camera in low light situations.  How much stability does
>a monopod actually provide?

As someone else said, a monopod is more for steading tele shots at
relatively short exposures. Not much use at all for long exposures
indoors, unless you lean them against something solid. But you could
just brace the camera against the solid thing, anyway.

>Does it permit exposures of a second or
>more, or is it only to allow a few more stops less than handheld? Is a
>monopod worth lugging around, or is it better to go with a tripod or
>stick to trees, buildings, etc.?  Any suggestions for models, heads,
>combos?

I have a couple of monopods and used to use my favorite one quite a bit.
Then I got a Velbon 343e and the monopod is gettin' pretty lonely. Small
and light enough to carry almost anywhere, very quick to set up and take
down. Not heavy enough to damp shutter/mirror/aperture vibration by
itself, but with a little downward hand pressure, it is quite good.
There's another verson of the same legs with a pan and tilt head instead
of ball head that looks pretty good too.

There is also the Ultrapod II.which I like a lot
<http://www.pedcopods.com/>. It will brace solidly against all kinds of
things and strap to others - and it weighs almost nothing.

Moose