[OM] Re: (OM) Choice of digital camera

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Choice of digital camera
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:21:40 -0600
At 04:34 PM 1/28/2005 +1100, you wrote:
>Brian,
>
>I bought an Oly C-8080 just prior to Christmas. You can see from Joel
>Wilcox's posts just what a performer this is in the hands of an expert.
>But your friend may care to note that it has diopter adjustment on the
>EVF and there is at least one manufacturer providing adaptors for it
>(and I believe to also adapt it for microscope use).
>
>Incidently, I've never had quite so much fun with a camera in my life!
>
>John,
>Sydney, Oz.

Thanks for the compliment, John. Very kind.

Winsor and Moose know a lot more about digital cameras than I do, so their
opinions are significant and I have little to offer.  From experience I
would say that the C-8080 could offer an excellent starting-point, but what
do you think about the EVF?  For me it is wonderful.  What has started off
as a decidedly negative feature now seems to offer the best of all
possibilities with just a couple exceptions.

The rumor going around the dpreview Oly forum is that Olympus will not
replace the C-8080.  The Evolt is supposedly the replacement.  (This comes
from a sales rep, so FWTW.)  If so, there goes a very interesting concept.

One of the hottest digicams is the Panasonic Lumix FZ20.  12x optical zoom,
f2.8 over the entire range, and image stabilization.  "Leica" stamp on the
lens (wonder how much Pana paid for that).  I've got one of those coming
and it will be the longer end of my digi "system" on the cheap.

I don't see why the E-1 or Evolt wouldn't be a good transition for a
reluctant, mature film shooter, but it's expensive when you consider how
much camera you can buy for the price of the lenses you'll probably really
want.

Joel W.