[OM] Re: (OM) Choice of digital camera

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Choice of digital camera
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:48:14 -0800
Given that you frequently shoot wide open with a fast lens at ISO 400 I
would say that your only choice is a DSLR. Otherwise you will be
constantly dealing with digital noise. The smaller sensors of digicams
and the variable aperture of the lenses both can conspire to create
unpleasantly noisy images at ISO 400. That ISO and higher ones are
perfectly usable with a DSLR negating the need for anti-shake
technology with ordinary focal lengths in your situation as you
describe it.

6MP is more that adequate. I would explore the capabilities of the
camera to function on the microscope, especially the ability to meter
the light and to provide a good view. Cameras that seem to take pains
to use earlier lenses might be good choices to look at like the Pentax
which also has a magnified viewfinder that might be useful with the
microscope.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA