[OM] Re: camera marketing

Subject: [OM] Re: camera marketing
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:41:17 -0800
Glenn Stauffer wrote:

>I could probably find one (Canon 20D) that would make me
>give up my Olympus SLRs, but I have a fair amount of macro gear for
>those and that is all I really use an SLR for, so the investment to
>move to another system would be steep.

No advocacy here, just info. Depending on what macro gear you have,
quite a lot of it may work well with the 20D. The regular macro lenses
and the 65-116 work using the OM-EOS adapter. The bellows is trickier.
As I posted before:

"The problem with the 300D, and I would think, all others, is not
anything on the bellows, as the mounting flange comes easily off the
body. The bellows can then be mounted on the flange without any
twisting. The clearance problem is the big tab on the mounting flange
that is used both to turn it onto and off the body and as the lens mount
release. For this tab to clear the pop-up flash housing and bayonet into
the mount/adapter, at least a 12mm extension tube must be already
mounted on the camera or adapter. The Oly 14mm tube works fine too, of
course. The only significant consequence is that the minimum extension
of the bellows increases from 36mm to at least 48mm. That may or may not
be a problem depending on the lens used and the application.

If the tab were cut down, the bellows would still not quite fit on a
300D. The back of the bellows body would still be blocked. It looks like
a 7mm tube might do it then, but I'm not modifying mine to find out. :-) "

The macro flashes of course don't do TTL metering, but that's not as big
a problem on a DSLR. One can estimate, take a shot, look at review of
shot and/or histogram and correct as necessary. The bad shots can just
disappear. So for many uses, it will work fine.

A cheap entree to AF macro, which I have considered, but not tried, is
the Vivitar/Phoenix/?? 105/3.5 macro
<http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/%7Ebj/zuiko/00001.htm>. My 50/3.5,
90/2, Kiron 105/2.8 and Tamron 90/2.5 work fine on the 300D.

Moose