[OM] Re: Vuescan question

Subject: [OM] Re: Vuescan question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 02:16:35 -0800
Mike wrote:

>When I do a scan I'm saving a 48 bit tiif with light dust removal and a
>48 bit raw tiff. Am I correct in assuming that this means the scanner is
>doing an IR pass as well as the RGB? But when I open the raw tiff there
>are plenty of dust spots. So should I set the scanner to save a 64 bit
>RGBI raw tiff for archival purposes? The extra 16 bits being the IR
>channel I am again assuming. I would like to go back to the raw file and
>output a new dust free tiff without having to re scan. Or do I have to
>open the raw file in VueScan to output the new tiff to PS?

I've only just gotten around to playing around with VueScan and the
FS4000 and thought of this old question that I'm not sure was really
answered.

Dust removal involves 2 passes of the scanner head, 1 for color and 1
for infrared. RAW is just that, the raw data from the scanner, with no
dist or other processing, so it will have the dust in the color data. If
you want to be able to scan from the RAW file, you need to save the
infrared data too, so you have to use 64 bit RGBI. Then 'scanning' from
the RAW file is just like scanning with the scanner and you can do
anything you would then, dust removal, change color options, etc.

I'm still thinking/experimenting with my work flow. What I've found is
that scanning RAW only takes no longer than the physical scan passes.
The RAW file is written as the scan progresses. What adds a lot of time
is processing the TIFF and/or JPEG files. So what I'm thinking about is
just doing RAW files at first when I scan a roll, so the physical film
handling part is over quickly. Then I can just point VusScan to the RAW
files and have it crank out JPEGs of all the shots while I'm doing
something else on the computer or elsewhere. It seems to work fine in
the background. Once I've figured out the winners and losers from the
JPEGs, I can again process, but this time just the shots I want to use,
to TIFFs

If you or anybody else have Portra 160NC shots to scan, I'd be happy to
share my profile for that film. Won't be perfect as there will be slight
differences in the scanner, but I'll bet it works well with any FS4000,
probably with an FS2710 or 20 and who knows with another brand.

Moose