[OM] Re: shift lens usage question

Subject: [OM] Re: shift lens usage question
From: iwert <iwert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:42:12 +0100

> I have just made the next step in zuikoholism... 24mm shift. (Damn I am
> not getting better even though I admit I have a problem...)

Congratulations! (and welcome to the club)

> However, I have a question about using it...
>
> The instruction "manual" - well sheet says that "the viewfinder shows
> correct exposure indications only when the lens is not shifted.
>
> I take it that with otf metering the camera will take correctly exposed
> pictures in auto even with the lens shifted and that I should simply
> ignore what the metering says when the lens is shifted. But what about
> spot metering?
>
> Does this mean that if I want to spot meter with my 4ti I have to spot
> meter with the lens unshifted and not stoped down, then attach it to the
> tripod compose the shot and stop down? or?????

James,

If you use the 24/35 shift with the OM-4Ti these are the ways to go:

Auto: Just compose shift the way you want, and click. Exposure is correct
due to TTL metering. Just don't forget to set the correct aperture AND to
engage the stop-down mechanism.

Spot + Manual: Meter unshifted and then compose.

this may seem awkward in the beginning, but you get used to it rather fast.

Iwert.