[OM] Re: Macro stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro stuff
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:28:27 -0500
Matthew:

I suppose it depends what you mean by "close up photography".  I just
acquired a set of Oly auto tubes that I could use with lenses that I
own: 50mm, 100mm and Tamron 180mm.  They are not expensive (US$ 60-80 on
everyone's favourite auction site - though a set went for $16 over the
weekend!) and offer this flexibility. I have taken a few shots with the
Tamron, and close up is quite impressive. The 7mm tube allows a 5-15 ft
focussing range, which might be quite useful for portraits as well; the
25mm allows focussing in the 4-5 ft range (maybe less, but I don't have
the figures at hand). The focussing range on the 100mm shows the same
changes, but less pronounced that with the 180.  I envisage only
occasional close ups, so the tubes are a better bet than the another
50mm (though I would like the 50/2 - who wouldn't?).

Hope this is useful.
Martin