[OM] Re: Macro stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro stuff
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:17:51 -0000
Using the manual tubes, you stop down using the lens aperture ring (how
novel!).  It works differently on the manual tubes - as you stop down, so
the viewfinder image gets even darker (the side effect of the extension
tubes is that the viewfinder image is darker anyway).

There is no significant difference between Olympus tubes and after-market
tubes - except for the sizes (which might actually be a more significant
difference than you expect, depending on which lens you are using).

Don't be fooled by lens manugacturers describing their Superwizz 28-500 f/8
zoom as a macro lens.  Whatthey mean is that it will focus closer than Brand
X 70-210!  A true macro lens will be designed to focus at (at least) half
life size with minimal image degradation in the corners of the image, and
minimal barrel/pincushion distortion, and ideally with really small
apertures available without ill-effect on the image. It's a bit hard to
describe, but easy to appreciate once you have your first results from the
Superwizz. Put another way, I just needed a quick image of a paperback book
cover, and used to Zuiko 35-105 close focus lens.  My recollection is that
the book is rectangular - you wouldn't believe it looking at the photo, with
definite curves visible where I want straight lines!

If you are intrerested in good Olympus macro equipment, a friend is about to
sell up - 135/4.5, Auto extension tubes, and 65-116 tube.  No details yet,
but since all are boxed, I expect condition to be excellent.

HTH

--
Piers