[OM] Re: Simple questions about T45

Subject: [OM] Re: Simple questions about T45
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:34:37 +0100
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> [snip]
> These are certainly half solutions, I mean ad-hoc setups. For
> instance, when you need two off-axis 32s and situation
> requires to set up things as quickly as possible. It is not
> meant to be a T45 substitute.
>
> As for two T32s making a GN of 45 *in this setup*, I was left wondering.
> If both flashes were very close to one another, that is if fixed to a C
> bracket and one of them upside down so as light would come out virtually
> from a single source, then I wouldn't doubt it. But this project is
> intended, as you quickly understood, to get off axis flash light.
> If I understood properly, I would get a correctly exposed MANUAL flash
> picture when making the calcs to find out the f-stop, using 45 as a GN ?
>
> And now -pun intended- what if the resulting f-stop happens to be the
> maximum aperture of the lens I'm using? Please remember the thread I'm
> insisting on: maximum and next f-stops are only a half stop difference, as
> measured by the TTL meter, and it seems the same when measured by
> a Minolta
> Spotmeter F in a carefully designed setup (see 20/01/2005 08:56).
> This issue begs for an explanation, IMHO.

As long as both flashes are at the same distance from
the illuminated object, and not more than about 45? off
the axis of the lens, the output of two flashes with
the same GN is calculated by GN * sqr(2) = GN * 1,41
-- with two T32 you get the GN 45.

With any more odd arrangement of flashes I'd prefer
to use a flash meter measuring at the place of object
in incident light mode.

T32 in hot shoe with cable from its plug to BG2 with
the second T32 is the easiest setup of a 'fake T45'.

Andreas