[OM] Re: 35mm Film

Subject: [OM] Re: 35mm Film
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:02:28 -0800
Thought I'd chime in with this one too.

Like Mike, for many of my shots lately (winter), which tend to be indoor,
tungsten lit, close up and wide open photos of our nineteen-month-old son,
usually with the 85/2, I'm finding the limiting factors to be camera shake
and depth of field/focus, so I'm loving Kodak Portra 800 in the OM-4Ti. The
faster shutter speeds available in the OM-4Ti means I can still use it
outside during the day and still have a full choice of apertures. (Mind you,
I am in Seattle, so it's more like misty 5.6 than sunny 16 these days...)

I keep Portra 160 NC in the OM-1MD, for the rarer moments when it's sunny
and/or I can take time to set up a tripod.

My all-time fave for crucial portfolio shots of my work (architecture)  is
Fuji Reala. The negative film gives me extra latitude on shots I most likely
won't be able to get again (over slide film) and Reala's (and most other
Fuji emulsions') 4-layer technology handles mixed light sources really well.
I'm always using a tripod there (and shift lens usually), so I can afford
the speed drop. I've printed drum scans up to 30 x 40 inches with fantastic
results.

The pro photographer I work with to shoot my work when I can afford him has
recently started using Kodak High Definition 200 for daylight shots (over
Reala, which he used before) so I'm guessing it's not a bad film for that
application. (But it doesn't do as well indoors.)

I've found I'm using more Kodak film these days, after four or five years of
nothing but Fuji. I've also switched pretty much completely from slide film
to print film.

-Rob Harrison
Seattle