[OM] Re: Fungus

Subject: [OM] Re: Fungus
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:55:01 -0000 (GMT)
if you are after the highest detail and clarity there is usually an F stop
on most of the lenses that give you good results. For instance on the 24mm
F2.8 and 21mm f3.5 I like f8 and on the tamron 90mm and 35-70 f3.6 I like
f11.

If shutter speed is important then the range of F stops that give
acceptable results matters too since in many cases f11 will not give you a
fast shutter speed and will not allow you to freeze motion etc. In general
the more expensive lenses have a wider operating range. for example if you
look at

http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

you can compare the 35-70 F4 and 35-70 f3.6. If you pick the sharpest
appature for each lens at each zoom setting the f3.6 is fractionally
sharper. But if you look at 1 or 2 stops each side of the best operating
point the f3.6 is also far sharper than the f4. This means that the f3.6
has a wider operating range too and will allow good results over a wider
range of shuter speeds.

I am lucky in that for most of the photos I take I can use a tripod and
since the subjects does not move I can get away with exposures of over 1
second and so I try to allways run my lenses at their sharpest F stop.

Regards
James