[OM] Re: Oh yeah, now I remember

Subject: [OM] Re: Oh yeah, now I remember
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:46:57 -0000
Piers wrote:

>Not to knock digital (I have the Fred Miranda PS plug-in Digital
>Velvia, for example) but my feeling is that the market is still
>developing too fast for me to want to throw cash into the
>lightning-fast depreciation pot.  I would rather throw the cash into
>cast-off Zuiko stock!

I like analogies. Here is mine.

A computer is like a family car. The depreciation is terrible, and it
hurts, but it's a tool you can't do without.

A digital SLR (for a hobbyist) is like buying a new sports car. You want
one, and you can afford one, so you live with the really awful
deprecation for the joy you get out of owning one.

An old Olympus OM is like buying a classic car. Much cheaper than a new
one to buy and, if well maintained, doesn't depreciate. But lacks the
mod-cons (which for some is the real joy of having one).

(PS: Hope my opinion this time is less controversial than the diesel
one!)

Simon