[OM] Re: Evolt review

Subject: [OM] Re: Evolt review
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:32:44 -0800

On Jan 11, 2005, at 5:19 PM, John Hudson wrote:

> The four mirror system, instead of a prism, looks to be a significant
> downside to this camera. If any one of these four mirrors knocked out
> of
> true the entire focusing and viewing system will fail.

Was that a problem with the original Pen series? I never heard of it,
but I wasn't a Pen user.

FWIW, the Olympus booth at MacWorld Expo today had a line of four E-1s
on one side and four Evolts on the other. I stopped and messed with an
Evolt for a few minutes. The guy in the booth took the lens off and
fired the shutter a few times so I could see the mirror swing to the
side and look at the focusing screen. I can't tell you anything about
the technical merits of the system, but I can tell you that the
viewfinder was bright and nice IMO and the action of the mirror seemed
very stable.

I mentioned to the guy that I'd love to see a Pancake lens for the
system and he said that a lot of people at Olympus have said the same
thing. He said that the day the Evolts came in one of the employees put
a 40mm pancake on it and said, "Now *this* would make a cool magazine
ad." I agree (natch). He said there's been so much chatter about it at
Olympus that there were memos flying when Sigma came out with their
digital pancake lens. He claims that the prevailing rumor is that there
will be one in 2005. I mentioned that it isn't on the roadmap and he
said, "Wait."

Well, I'm crossing my fingers.