[OM] Re: Evolt review

Subject: [OM] Re: Evolt review
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:17:28 -0800
Gareth.J.Martin wrote:

>    Seems to me that Olympus haven't sorted the issue of noise out on
>their sensor at higher ISOs. The noise on the DPreview images at higher
>ISO looked horrendous (to me anyway!). I still think the chips need
>cooling (please don't flame me for saying this :) !).

No flames, just that it isn't economically feasible as a camera feature.
The user is free to keep their (camera) cool.

Besides technical problems, the problem with that solution is that
others manage to have low noise without the extra weight, battery drain,
cost, etc, etc. that would be involved. It's A solution, but nowhere
near THE solution at the current state of technology.

>I can also see the potential problems with the mirror layout and
>misalignment, however I think it will be a lot sturdier than it seems.
>I've have several porro-prism binoculars, which I would say were much
>sturdier than most digital cameras I've seen and handled, where the
>prisms have become misaligned with a slight impact.

Maybe you need to get rid of the several pair and get one high quality
pair? Kidding aside, the mechanical situation is quite different.

>I bet Olympus have built in some simple collimation techniques so the mirrors
>can be collimated easily. Then again... I do like the look of the camera
>though.

No way! The mirrors will be mounted in an engineered plastic holder. If
an impact sufficient to break the module doesn't render the camera
beyond repair, you just slip in a new module.

Moose