[OM] Re: Canon EOS 300D (OT, in case it wasn't obvious!)

Subject: [OM] Re: Canon EOS 300D (OT, in case it wasn't obvious!)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:18:37 -0800
Simon Worby wrote:

>At a nincompoop customer today

Remind me not to patronize whatever establishment you work for. Nor to
hire you for any customer service position.

>, he showed me his Canon EOS 300D. 5 strange black rectangles in the
>viewfinder and no obvious way of focussing it. Nincompoop had never switch it
>to MF anyway so didn't have a clue.

The black rectangles and similar indicators are common on AF cameras and
long predate digital. They show the user where in the field of view the
camera has focused. Quit helpful when one succumbs to the weakness of
the flesh and uses AF. Then it is useful to know upon what the camera
has chosen to focus, so one may change it if the choice is inappropriate
for one's photographic purposes. I won't go into any more detail since
you obviously don't want to know. The E-1, by the way, has only 3 focus
points, similarly indicated in the viewfinder.

>How do you focus accurately manually on this camera? Change the
>focussing screen to something sensible?

Nope, generally not interchangable on the lower end DSLRs.
Interchangeable on the E-1, but no choice aimed at MF as yet. I know I
find it quite possible to focus manually on a 300D from about a 28mm
lens on up, although it gets more difficult in low light. For wider
lenses, use AF or let the distance and DOF scales be your friends. Lets
face it, the smaller than full frame sensor DSLRs aren't designed with
MF as a high priority. And sports cars and SUVs are designed for
different purposes too.

>BTW, know it's not necessarily supposed to be the best, but compared to
>OM gear it was horrible to hold: strange shape (not enough grip one side
>to grasp it properly)

I've spent many hours carrying a 300D around, quite a bit of the time in
my right hand. Although I find it otherwise less esthetically appealing
than most OM bodies, I find it easier and more secure to hold that an
OM-4, with or without the little add-on grip on it. I also know AG says
EOS DSLRs give him cramps in his hand. One might then suppose that
individuals and their hands vary considerably in size and configuration
details. Does having hands that work well with a 300D make me a
nincompoop? Just curious. :-)

>nasty switchgear

What in heavens name does this mean, other than that you don't like it?
Like the grip, some definition of terms might be helpful for conveying
the reasons for your dislike to others.

>nasty light feel to the lens (though I don't think he had a Canon lens on it),

So busy hating it that you couldn't check who created the monstrosity?

>horrible

Ah, another highly descriptive techincal term!

>, light, plastic feel -- all without actually being that light to go with it.

Can*n makes lenses in a range from cheap, light, sloppy and optically
mediocre to absolutely solid, pro quality with world class optics. Plus
3rd party makers cover much the same range. Nincompoop's choice, your
choice, my choice. What's so bad about that?

And by the way, different people have different preferences. Big heavy
all metal lenses can be wonderful performers, and some were mediocre and
poor performers. And so can lighter, plastic ones. The
Cosina/Vivitar/Phoenix/etc. 19-35/3.5-4.5 is plastic and much lighter
than the metal bodies Samyang/phoenix/etc. 18-28/4-4.5.Yet the 19-35 is
a superior optical performer, and, so far as I can tell, more than
rugged enough for normal use. And I'll tell you which one I would prefer
to, and do, haul around. Some of my favorite lenses are traditional
solid metal bodied designs, while others are not. Oh dear, does focusing
(!) on function over materials and appearance increase my
nincompoopishness?

>I'm sure it takes good pictures (not in nincompoop's paws, I dare say),
>but I don't think I could get any pleasure out of owning one.

Excellent! By all means eschew EOS. I, on the other hand, derive
considerable pleasure from owning one and also enjoy the images it makes.

Moose