[OM] Re: Everyday camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Everyday camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:50:40 -0800
DICK LAGUE wrote:

>Thanks for the very insightful answer.
>
>You make some excellent points.  Everyone brings up price......like it
>costs 1850.....yet you can buy the LC1 For $1195 everywhere

I WAS thinking of the $1,200 price. I still think that's an awful lot of
money for a 5mp, 3x zoom camera.

Not saying it is what you should be looking at, just picking an example
for price: The Sony 828 has the same size sensor, although it happens to
be 8mp, rather than five. Like the LC-1, it is a Japanese camera from a
non-traditional camera maker with a premium name German brand lens, a
Carl Zeiss T* 28-200 lens on the Sony vs the Leica 28-90 on the
Panasonic. And the lens is just as fast, the F2.0-2.8 vs. the
Panasonic's F2.0-2.4 is only because it goes much longer, they'll be the
same speed at 90mm. Anyway, leaving out other details, the 828 is more
than comparable on specs to the LC1 - and it costs $300 less than the
LC-1. Is a Zeiss or a Leica lens better, 5 or 8 mp better? The point is
that the Sony has more mps and a 7.1 vs. 3.2x zoom and still costs 25%
less. That's what I mean by expensive. Based on comparable pricing to
the Sony and others, the LC-1 should cost no more than $700.

>I just like the concept of this camera.  Would like a bigger CCD and a
>couple of other things, but it is appealing to me.

That's what makes horseraces.

>I am going to find a way to try one out.

And that's the real test. If you haven't used decent DCs, though, be
sure to try out something else too, to get a comparison.

Good Luck with the great search for the perfect camera. It's always just
out of sight over the horizon. :-)       Maybe it's a 7070, or an E-3,

Moose