[OM] Re: Everyday camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Everyday camera
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:57:54 -0800
Maybe I should have been a little more detailed. I have used a Nikon
Coolpix with EVF. You can focus with it manually, but no one does it
because it is painfully slow, difficult and "iffy". At this point in
the technology an EVF is not really suitable for manual focus in my
opinion and that is what you seemed to be interested in. The EVF in the
Panasonic is not a particularly good one like the one in the Konica
Minolta A2.  It is fine for accurate framing with an autofocus camera.

Another thought. Mostly the reviews indicate that the Leica/Panasonic
sensor is noisier that the same size sensor from Nikon, Canon or
others(In cameras that have more resolution and cost $1000 less). That
means that you are going to have to post process the images to remove
noise in many of your images or keep the enlargements small. If you
keep the enlargements small there is no need to pay all that money for
the Leica lens because you will never see its quality.

But buying a camera can be subjective. For me, I would hate to spend
$1600 for a camera and watch other people getting better images out
their $800 cameras. There is no way an image out of the Panasonic will
be as good as that from an Olympus C-8080 or any inexpensive DSLR +
lens kit. I hate the idea of buying a camera for its manual focus lens
and then not be able to tell whether it is focused in the viewfinder or
that I will see noise using even the lowest ISO and that it will limit
the size of a print unless I buy another program to process it. But
that is just my opinion and you may love it.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA