[OM] Re: OM-4T, OM-2SP Battery Consumption Problem

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4T, OM-2SP Battery Consumption Problem
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:32:22 -0800
Thomas Tonelli wrote:

>OK, thanks,
>
>I would have never thought of going to these lengths. I will go through the
>procedures you suggest. The batteries were 357 Silver Oxide manufactured
>however for Walmart, which I purchased in their watch department.

Watches don't need high drain batteries.

> The coil
>at the end of the battery chamber looks good and the chrome cap is clean.
>
>Do you know if the mercury batteries had different characteristics under
>load compared to the silver oxide?

Yes, they would not be suitable for automatic shutter cameras like the
OM-2 and 4 series. They held very stable voltages with great shelf life,
but were not suitable for high drain surges. They only had to run a
simple lightmeter in the OM-1n. Given the time frame of development, I'm
pretty sure it was theses characterstics, rather than thoughts of
mercury contamination that led to the change to silver oxide batteries
for the OM-2

Moose