[OM] Re: (OM) Computing security - OT - and stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Computing security - OT - and stuff
From: Jerry VanBrimmer <jevb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:49:16 -0800
On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 02:34:58PM +1300, Brian Swale wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> One of the end-of year messages I received and really could have done
> without came from GRISOFT Antivirus cz whose product I have been using
> satisfactorily for some years,
>
> The announcement was that the current Free version, V6, was discontinued,
> and if I wished to continue I needed to download V7 which worked on an
> entirely different basis.
>
> Having been not long ago faced with a similar message from Lavasoft, the
> advertisement-trojan killer program (and for which there would be
> unfortunately a similar outcome), I set about upgrading. Apparently V7 would
> uninstall V6, and all would be well.
>
> The download for V7 was somewhere in the vicinity of 10 MB size which did
> not please me greatly, but I got on with it.
>
> On trying to install I soon got the message that my system needed
> dcom95.exe, which I had to hunt down and install, not without some hard
> work.
>
> Another 1.5 MB space on C drive I didn't really want to give up.

> Microsoft Office 2000.
>
> A few years ago with a feeling of considerable relief I rid my machine of all
> Microsoft browsers and mail clients due the the considerable virus and back-
> door client hazard they bring with them.  I did not want to bring that stuff
> back in.  Oh, and MSIE 5.01, when I did eventually find a copy, is about
> 68MB. Goodness knows what the installed size is.
>
> Back to the drawing-board. My currently most-used browser, Opera 3.61,
> does most things I want, and very rapidly, and the download program easily
> fits on a floppy disk.  Not 68 MB, installed or not.
>
> I'm on the lookout for a new anti-virus program and a new anti-advertisement
> trojan protector.  Quite a blow to lose both within a few months of each
> other.

Hi Brian,
I use Slackware Linux myself, but on my wife's and kid's machines I use
Avast Home Edition anti-virus. It works very well, is free for personal
home use, and it will automatically update itself. URL is:

> In the meantime, preoccupied with this viral treatment stuff, I neglected a
> local auction for a copy of the paper Olympus Sales Information File in great
> shape, and a copy of the OM system book, shape ditto. Both went for under
> $15US, dagnabit.
>
> Brian

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

The KING is coming!..................Rev. 1:7
The bottom line......................John 3:3-7
Linux User #153217..................http://counter.li.org