[OM] Ethical Q re shipping E*bay item Int'l

Subject: [OM] Ethical Q re shipping E*bay item Int'l
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:16:04 -0500
I sold an OM4t via E*ay to a guy in France who paid very quickly via PayPal.  I
quoted him $18.00 shipping, which is the uninsured price, but I neglected to
clearly point out that that price was uninsured (my fault).  Typically I offer
buyers a choice of insurance or not, with declared value matching the insured
value, or it's their risk.  (Please, no comments on the philosphy of value
declaration, that's not my question.)

It took me a couple of weeks to send the package because of various other
issues, none of which were his fault.  It was mailed on November 23rd via Air
Mail Parcel Post, quoted as 4-10 days delivery to W.Europe.

As of today December 14th, it still hasn't gotten there, 13 business days and
21 calandar days since shipping.  He's threatening poor feedback and "warning
Ebay" about me!

I've told him that I really don't have any solution right now.  USPS states
that an "International Inquiry" can be started on insured packages after 21
days (no definition of "days"), but there isn't any defined route for uninsured
package inquries.   I've offered to start the trace.

I feel that we are both at the mercy of the shipper and the holiday traffic,
and that we'll both have to wait.  I'm not inclined to refund anything to the
buyer until the Post Office tells me that the package is lost, but I don't have
any idea of how long to wait.  If the package disappears, I fear I will have to
give him his money back, and eat the whole amount.

The moral to myself?  Be more careful of defining shipping options, insurance,
etc. up-front, or insist on using EMS in the auction conditions.

Any advice?

Skip