[OM] Re: Auto Bellows question

Subject: [OM] Re: Auto Bellows question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:25:04 -0500
re: lock knob that doesn't want to lock

Try tightening the 2 drag screws on either side of the lock knob.  They
also apply pressure to the rail and will assist the lock knob in holding
everything locked in place.  It may take a bit of fiddling to get it all
working smoothly.  It may still take a lot of pressure on the lock knob
to hold things still if using a heavy rig at a steep angle.

I replaced one of the nylon blocks on mine since one was machined
incorrectly.  It left too large a gap between the block and rail and
couldn't be tightened down enough.  After removing the blocks and
comparing them side-by-side the machining error was obvious.  The
dovetail groove in one of the blocks was 1-2mm wider than the other.

Both the lens and body mounts on my bellows are quite a bit tighter than
any of my lens/body combinations but not enough that I consider it
defective.  The cameras and lenses may have been as tight when new but
the bellows hasn't seen anywhere near as much usage.

Chuck Norcutt