[OM] Re: Philips; cross-point; posi-drive; Robertson

Subject: [OM] Re: Philips; cross-point; posi-drive; Robertson
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:30:45 -0800
on 11/30/04 7:49 PM, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> And I have lots of crosspoint drivers, which they don't list at all, and
> which are definitely different than phillips.* No Reed & Prince either.
> I can't recall how they differ.

I think crosspoint are also sometimes called 'JIS' for (I think) Japan
Industrial Standard. These are the typical '+' screws found in almost all
cameras made in the last 40-50 years (from Japan)... although older cameras
sometimes use slotted screws (vis the M-1 and Pen F/FT cameras).

Crosspoint are cross blades, come to a sharp point, and tip angle is about
45-degrees. A good-condition driver and a good -condition screw head will
'stick' together when pressed, holding the screw for insertion.

Phillips are cross blades but have a truncated tip, and I think the tip
angle is different. Even with good-condition tips and screws the 'stick' is
iffy.

Reed & Prince are cross blades but with a sharper point than Phillips and I
think the tip angle is closer to 60-degrees. I have one driver and I've
never found a screw for it, not sure where they are used -- maybe furniture?

While most will inter-fit they are not really interchangeable and I've got
the munched driver tips and stripped-out screws to prove it.

I replaced every accessable screw in my old CB-Hondas with hex socket cap
screws... the OEM JIS screws strip out and you can't get the engine covers
apart. Not to mention the original cheap zinc-plate steel corrodes into the
aluminum thread holes and strips out when you use an impact driver to torque
them loose. Ask me how I know...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

Don't use an impact driver in camera disassembly...