[OM] Re: Philips; cross-point; posi-drive; Robertson

Subject: [OM] Re: Philips; cross-point; posi-drive; Robertson
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:32:41 -0000
I did not intend to imply that *you* had heard anything Earl.  Nor did I
intend to *imply* that *I* had heard anything.  I DID hear what I described,
on several occasions, from the lips of several people who turned out to be
of Canadian origin, though my intent was not to create a stereotype, any
more than my choosing to spell colour that way emphasizes another stereotype
(I chose to spell 'emphasize' that way too).

However, your description of what the sound is and isn't seems perfectly
fine to me, and we have the difficulty of using the alphabet to represent a
variety of subtly different sounds - a bit like using a 4Ti to drive in
Robertson screws (!), a job it could accomplish, but wasn't designed for.*

I see your point about the possible Scots origin, which wasn't previously
obvious to me, perhaps because the rest of the spoken context was not
obviously Scots either.  But I don't doubt that Scots rather than English is
the greater part of the English speaking Canadian heritage - they didn't
stop at Nova Scotia, as several place names testify - Banff and Calgary come
immediately to mind as being a little to the west.

;-)

--
Piers

* NB preposition at end of sentence! Let's live a little.