[OM] Re: Olympus Trouble

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Trouble
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:36:12 -0500
I was commenting on the comment on the Mustang Jaaaaaguar V-8 compared to the
289. It would really not be too good if a motor can't last out its first 5 years
without trouble. What about the next 30 years? The 289, or the 390 I have in my
'65 & 66 T-bird everyday cars with 300hp (at only 2800 rpm) 427 ft.lbs of torque
& loping at 70mph at about 2500 rpm using today's OILS & LUBRICATION ( & far
less long term wear than needing 4-7000 RPM at their top ends), are simply far
easier to maintain, diagnose, and have lower cost parts.

Hence my comment about the apparent pathetic sadness of suggesting a concept
such as a newly rebuilt 289 substituting for the Jaaaaguar V-8. But, pit 2
mustangs against eachother, one with each engine, and see whats still running in
30 years.

On the contrary, it used to be thought that replacing Rolls Royce engines with
Chevy engines was more economical. In the 50's or 60's cars, now that could make
sense (though it would kill the value), but to do that in an 80's or 90's car
like my Silver Spur would make no sense since the V-8 engines are not that
complicated or stressed plus have much tighter tolerances. Also its the constant
hydraulic pressure brake & height control mineral oil systems that would have to
be completely replaced as they run on 2 pumps off the camshaft.

Uhh...I've taken photos of the cars with my OM-4T, OM-2n, OM-n & XA cameras.

Larry