[OM] Re: Olympus Trouble (OM-Digital??!)

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Trouble (OM-Digital??!)
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:12:01 -0500
My opinion is that there isn't any market for OM bodies of any sort, and there
hasn't been for many years.  Without AF lenses, an introduction of a digital OM
body would have been stupidity.  We dinosaurs represent a tiny, unprofitable
minority as a primary user market.

Tell me what manufacturer has succeeded with a non-medium-format digital camera
that primarily uses manual focus lenses.

Contax?  Nope, the N-digital died a quick death.

Pentax or Minolta?  Most of their users have AF lenses.  The use of K-mounts is
just a bonus.

Leica?  Come on, don't make me laugh: a ridiculous, ultra-low production,
hyper-expensive digital back for the R8/9?!

Epson/Cosina?  This will likely do OK, but it's a very narrow, niche product,
hardly a way to make corporate profits.

Skip