[OM] Re: ( OM ) e*ay charges, while we are on about that

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) e*ay charges, while we are on about that
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:30:35 +1300
Hi Gordon & all

About Henry's postal charges etc.

The item that in my haste I purchased from them weighs, in the "Small
packet" ie lightly padded envelope, 70gm. (It's a lens-hood).  It arrived
yesterday.

Thanks to Gordon, I just checked the Canada post rate for this to New
Zealand ( it was not on the print-out post-office note in lieu of a postage
stamp) . $6.44 Canadian or about $5.34 US.
Henrys charged about $16.95 US.

At that price I assumed they would use a sturdy box with heaps of padding.
Not a bit of it. Light envelope and little padding. I'm wondering what feedback
to post.

A lesson for me - don't be in such a hurry to place an initial bid, and think
it
through.

Next; the Commerce Ministry of New Zealand it as of today taking to the
criminal court in New Zealand, 8 banks (mostly overseas banks since
overseas banks have bought out most NZ banks n the last 20 years), for
imposing un-notified ( and excessive)  charges on credit cards used where
exchange has to be done to convert to the $NZ. Millions of dollars are
involved.

Typical extreme instances quoted on the radio report today are such as -
somebody staying at a hotel in London and the cost of the stay is (say)
$2,000 NZ.  The banks typically charge the conversion as a percentage of
the total; not the one flat rate that should be charged.

This will be an interesting case. It was also reported that in the USA, some
department has taken a similar case against a US credit-card company, and
I think the report was that the charges were upheld in the court.

OM content; the lens-hood was for a Zuiko 35/2.

Brian