[OM] Re: E-300

Subject: [OM] Re: E-300
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:06:33 -0800
I think I can put my finger on it. It's ugly, at least in the pictures.
Maybe it will be better in person.  Probably a very capable camera.

  My feeling is that you have to increase the number of pixels by nearly
100 percent to get a significant increase in detail recorded and that
is assuming no significant increase in noise. What happens when the
pixel count goes up and the pixel sites get smaller the built in noise
reduction gets cranked up by the manufacturer which obscures the fine
detail you are trying to get by increasing the pixels.  So I think a
close out E-1 would not be a bad way to go or an economy model from
another manufacturer with a bigger sensor. What Olympus has going for
it is that their noise reduction in the C-8080 is one of the more
effective and unobtrusive around. So they have a handle on something
that will help as they push the pixel count up on the 4/3 sensor.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA