[OM] Re: Japan

Subject: [OM] Re: Japan
From: Giovanni De Martis <giovannidemartis@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 19:08:40 +0100
Well, I live in Venezia (Italy) and the groups of touris around the city are
a daily experience in my life.
The japanese are without doubt regimented but here choice of subject for
picture is unpredictable. All is "caracteristic".
In these years the number fo Chinese tourist is very high but the art is not
the focus of her interest: they will see shop, shop, shop.
The americans have some difficult to realize what Venezia is not Disneyland.
They are astounding by the fact what people can live and work in Venezia.
Many times a friend from USA ask me: "Did you live here? Really?". The
camera are less up to date but I see a warm passion for a good and minded
shot (but is not a good idea in a small bridge).
The English have an utopical idea of city and go in small groups in the path
of Ruskin. In silence and with great attention they search only "poetical
photos". For this reason they are the nightmare of venetian cats.
The French search a sign of "french civilization" in the city with some sign
of frustration for her absence. The photostyle is "a la Cartier-Bresson":
the french tourist search the most strange point of view and remain
ten-twenty minuts awaiting an impossible "ray of inspiration".
The Germans have a lot of modern equipment but for a unknow reason love shot
only from the public boats.
The italians .... well anarchy seems the only word to apply. They shot only
if the viewfinder is full with wife, childern, friends and pingeons. They
are split in the city and in the late afternoon often I find some family
totally lost what search the way for the rail station.
I have shot in the years thousands photos of tourist in Venezia, for me they
are the most attractive subject.